Diamond Grading Laboratories
By Rubina Posh January 26,2017
There are many Diamond Grading Laboratories around the world, established to provide independent reports, which are clear and free of conflict of interest. These laboratories do not get involved in the sale of diamonds, however, the staff might be able to direct you to the companies/organisations, who buy or sell diamonds.
The Diamond Grading Certificates or Reports provided by these laboratories are documents that include a review of the internal and external features/characteristics of a loose diamond without allocating a dollar value.
The Diamond Grading Laboratories use their own grading systems, generally chosen from one of the following organisations: AGS; CIBJO; GIA; HRD and ScanDN. The ScanDN Diamond Grading System is mainly used by the Scandinavian countries such as Denmark, Norway & Sweden. These grading systems, although similar, do vary by one or two grades in colour, clarity, cut etc. from one laboratory to the next.
Each Laboratory does however, continue to follow the internationally recognised procedures set in place by the World Jewellery Confederation – CIBJO through its Blue Book system, outlining the “…set of standards for the grading, methodology and nomenclature of diamonds, coloured gemstones, pearls and other organic materials, precious metals and gemmological laboratories.”
One of CIBJO’s roles is to have everyone within the trade correctly educated so that they pass on the right information to consumers.
CIBJO’s members are worldwide and include national jewellery associations, privately owned businesses as well as government organisations. GIA, AGS, HRD and IGI are amongst its members.
Listed below are the Independent Diamond Grading Laboratories which provide Diamond Grading Certificates/Reports:
- American Gem Society Laboratories (AGS) – USA
- Australian Diamond Grading Laboratory (ADGL) – Brendale, QLD, Australia
- Diamond Certification Laboratory of Australia (DCLA) –Sydney, NSW, Australia
- EGL USA Group – New York, USA (Main Office)
- Gem Certification and Assurance Lab (GCAL) – New York (USA)
- Gemological Science International (GSI) – New York, USA (Main office/Headquarters)
- Gem Studies Laboratory (GSL) – Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Gemmological Institute of America (GIA) – USA (Main office/Headquarters)
- HRD Antwerp (HRD) – Belgium (Main Office/Headquarters)
- Independent Diamond Grading Laboratory (IDGL) – UK
- Independent Diamond Report Centre (IDRC) – UK
- International Gemological Institute (IGI) – Antwerp, Belgium (Main Office/Headquarters)
- Independent Gemmological Laboratory (IGL) – Israel (Main Office/Headquarters)
- International Institute of Diamond Grading & Research (IIDGR) –Belgium, UK & India
- Professional Gem Sciences Laboratory (PGS) – Chicago, USA
- Scientific Gem Testing Laboratories (Auscert) – Melbourne, VIC, Australia