Is My Ring Gold?
By Rubina Posh February 23,2017
How Do I Check That My Ring Is Gold?
The best way to check if your ring is gold is to take it to a Jeweller or a Jewellery Valuer/Appraiser. Otherwise, you can try the following:
· Inspect the piece for official markings. Most jewellery pieces will have a mark somewhere. Even if it is an older piece you might still be able to see some dents left from the stamp.
· Look for markings on the inside of the band. With some European items the mark can be found on the outside of the band.
· Look for discolouration. If it is a plated piece there will be sections where the plating has faded and the metal beneath the surface will be showing.
· If it’s an older piece look at the scratches. If the piece is gold, you will still see a yellow metal. Usually plated pieces will have a silver like or bronze colour, but the metal beneath can be any colour. Even if the ring is in white gold, you will still be able to notice a slight yellow tint.
· A magnet test can be done where the jewellery item is held loosely parallel and vertical to the magnet so if it pulls towards or sticks to the magnet it’s a fake piece. This is just to eliminate the possibility of the piece being fake.